Are you prepared for the new SRA Standards and Regulations 2019 coming into force later this year?
The SRA has announced that the new SRA Standards and Regulations (STARS) are coming into force on 25 November 2019.
Shorter and more targeted than the existing rules, the new SRA Standards and Regulations will replace the old Handbook and are designed to allow solicitors greater freedom to use their professional judgement; key changes include:
• Separate codes of conduct for firms and solicitors
• Streamlined Accounts Rules focussed on protecting client money
• Allowing solicitors to provide reserved legal services on a freelance basis
• Enabling solicitors to carry out ‘non-reserved’ legal work from within a business not regulated by a legal services regulator
The SRA promises that the new STARs will offer new opportunities for the profession – with a more relaxed and much reduced regulatory burden on firms. Lecturer Trevor Hellawell will explore whether this is the case.
During this 1-hour session, Trevor will consider the following topics:
• New rules on
o Codes of Conduct for Firms
o Code of Conduct for Individuals
o Practice Framework Rules
• Opportunities for the profession
• New formats for practice
• What about other professions?
• What about the online clients?
• The role of the CoLP – now and in the future
Do you want to continue your session?